Monday, October 15, 2012

George Elbert Douglass June 24, 1920-October 7, 2012

My sweet Grandaddy 'Doug' went to be with our Master a week ago last Sunday morning and his service was unlike any service I've ever experienced before in my life.








I knew he was a World War II Veteran, and played a big part in freeing our Country, but after learning he made 3 news stations, was selected to attend the first ever South Plains Honor Flight to Washington, D.C. 2 weeks ago, & had a US Representative from Austin, along with a sergeant and Captain from Ft. Hood attend his services, I have never been more proud than I was last week. He died 48 hours after he returned home from that trip to DC, peacefully in his bed, and my Dad said he had a smile on his face. He touched so many lives and we will miss him greatly. Hearing Taps played at his graveside will be something I will never.ever.forget.
The Captain and Sergeant from Ft. Hood who came to personally honor my granddad at his graveside.




Seeing that flag draped over his casket was more than touching...




My dad arranged for a bagpiper to be there. He was at the private burial, walked us down the aisle at the church for his funeral and played during lunch. So neat!!!




Ian and London were fascinated by the bagpipe itself. He let them hold it and everything.




His obituary from my hometown newspaper is below.
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/myplainview/obituary.aspx?n=ge-douglass-doug&pid=160334656&referrer=0&preview=True&eid=sp_shareobit
The US State representative presented my dad with this framed picture of all the War Veterans on the Honor Flight and a US flag. Approximately 125 men were chosen to be on this Honor Flight and while they were there, the US Capital, in DC, flew a flag for every honoree. One of those flags is below. They wanted our family to have it. So very special.




Granddaddy was a 23-year-old Army captain in command of 168 enlisted men and five officers. If that isn't inspiration to make him proud I don't know what is. My dad did such a beautiful job planning everything and I know my Granddad would have planned it the exact same way had he been alive to do so.
While we were home, we did get to spend some quality time with family, which is always cherished. Funerals are always good times for that but wouldn't ever wish for circumstances like these as a way of getting everyone together. My cousin Melony took some great pictures too so once I get those from her I'll post them.
Mom bought London and Cam matching Halloween PJ's




All the grandkids LOVE these chairs that Grammy buys for them!




Mom and dad kept Cam for us Saturday night while we attended the Tech/WV game and what a game that was!?!?!!? My Red Raiders beat the #5 team in the nation!!!! Wreck 'Em Tech!!!
Thanks for all your help mom. We had a blast and saw one of the biggest games in TX Tech history thanks to you. ;). Love you!!!! Lindsay and Joey hosted us at their home and cooked some delicious food!!! Joey you are a 'natural' on the smoker sir! And Tami and Carlos, it was wonderful seeing you and your beautiful baby girl, Carter. Looking FW to Tech/UT weekend!!




Overall, it was a wonderful trip home and we were glad to be there. Until next time Granddaddy. I love you with every inch that I have and will long to make you proud all the days of my life. Tell Grandmommy Dottie hello and that I love her.
Cheers,
Lindley
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment